Ellouise Tkaczyk from St Margaret’s Anglican Girls’ School in Ascot stood out as a shining star at the 2023 IEU-QNT Literary Competition, winning the Year 9 and Year 10 category with her short story, “Blood and Ribbon.”
Now in its 64th year, the IEU-QNT Literary Competition is the longest-running writing competition in Queensland.
Organised in partnership with the English Teachers’ Association of Queensland (ETAQ), the competition seeks to inspire and recognise the talents of students and staff from state and non-government schools, promoting the growth of literary development and creative expression in young minds.
Terry Burke, the IEU-QNT Branch Secretary, highlighted the value of the Literary Competition in fostering young writers’ creativity and honing their writing skills.
He expressed his delight at the diversity and exceptional quality of this year’s submissions from all across the state, affirming that the judges were greatly impressed by the exceptional talent on display.
“I congratulate those outstanding writers who were awarded prizes and thank all the recipients who entered the 2023 Literary Competition,” Mr Burke said, emphasizing the importance of nurturing a love for literature and creative expression among the youth.
List of Literary Competition winners for 2023
• Short story: David Coleman-Mann, Chancellor State College, Sippy Downs, Sunshine Cost
Year 11 and 12
• Short story: Milli Gornik, St Thomas More College, Sunnybank
• Poem: Salem Williams, Kelvin Grove State College, Kelvin Grove
• Non-fiction prose: Felicity Williams, All Saints Anglican School, Merrimac
Year 9 and 10
• Short story: Ellouise Tkaczyk, St Margaret’s Anglican Girls’ School, Ascot
• Poem: Huntar Paterson, St Thomas More College, Sunnybank
Year 7 and 8
• Short story: Estella Dobbins, St Patrick’s College Townsville, The Strand, North Ward
• Poem: Dominic Palmani, St Thomas More College, Sunnybank
Year 5 and 6
• Short story: Isaac Furlong, Kelvin Grove State College, Kelvin Grove
• Poem: Lawson Plumbe, Toowoomba East State School, East Toowoomba